Prev: RE: 25mm Grav Bikes and Rules Next: Re: 25mm Grav Bikes and Rules

Re: GMS Fire control

From: Adrian Johnson <ajohnson@i...>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 09:43:17 -0500
Subject: Re: GMS Fire control

My $0.02...

>How many of you think GMS firecontrol is
>
>1) a product of the round (ie, the same launcher can fire GMS
>enhanced and GMS superior since the intelligence is in the round -
>goes with fire and forget I'd guess) therefore the launcher can be
>universal

I'm for this one - we are moving toward this technology wise anyway -
look
at the Javelin system now being fielded by the US.  The launcher does
have
sensors, but the missile itself once fired does its own guidance.  I
figure
that will just get better in the future - until the launcher is a simple
device what just acts as an interface between the operator and the
missile
electronics.  In a future of high-tech helmets with HUD's, etc, the
launcher may not even need a viewfinder, 'cause images would be
projected
onto the inside of the users' visor.

Problem - if the EW tech of the enemy is greater than your ability to
resist it, maybe they'll be able to screw up these missiles even before
they're fired.	SO, you might incorporate a "low tech" manual guidance
system into the launcher (much miniaturized over today's, of course), so
if
the soldiers know the enemy is spoofing their "smart" systems, they can
turn it on "dumb" mode and guide the missiles themselves.  Of course,
the
accuracy will suffer and likelyhood of return fire hurting the gunner
will
increase, but at least systems would keep operating...

Game Effect:  You get enhanced or superior guidance for your missiles,
but
EW equipped enemy can attempt to jam missile systems (their EW vs. your
guidance) - if they do, you only get basic fire control...

>1 seems to leave open the idea of having one GMS system (GMS/L for
>example) that can have varying missile qualities and varies the
>firecontrol used against various targets (ie it can fire ground,
>anti-air, and multi role rounds from the same launcher).

I really like the idea of a single launcher being able to fire different
types of targets.  The warheads/seeker system could be interchangable
(with
common rocket motor, guidance fins, etc.), and you just attach an
anti-tank
warhead or anti-aircraft warhead prior to launching.

Game Effect:  You determine how many of each type of system your gunners
are carrying prior to the game.  For example, operators of GMS/P systems
in
SG2 presently carry (commonly) only 3 missiles.  You could say they have
three rockets, but five warheads - three anti-armour and two anti-air.
This gives the grunts a chance to shoot back with guided missile fire at
aircraft units.

FYI:  I've heard of development efforts toward this kind of system in
"real
life" anyway - so it isn't too far off.  The Canadian military deploys a
system called ADATS, which is a guided missile weapon designed for both
anti-armour and anti-air use.  I believe it has a scanning radar for
initial target aquisition (in anti-air mode) but uses a laser for actual
targeting when the missiles fire, even in the anti-air role.  My
friend's
cousin is a Warrent Officer in the Regiment that operates these things,
and
we heard that in a recent deployment with the US Marines, the ADATS
system
was able to shoot down things like cruise missiles, etc.  The range on
the
system is between local air defence like the Stinger and long-range air
defence like the Patriot, and they are mounted on armoured vehicles.
The
US was one of the original development partners of the system, but they
backed out years ago.  I think the Marines want to get it, because it
fills
a real gap in US air defense.  It kicks ass on tanks, too...

Adrian

Prev: RE: 25mm Grav Bikes and Rules Next: Re: 25mm Grav Bikes and Rules