Prev: Re: [ds] Ogres Next: Re: Tank Riders {SG2]

Re: [ds] Modern Tanks.

From: Kenneth Winland <kwinland@c...>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 14:47:20 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: [ds] Modern Tanks.

	Howdy!

On Sat, 14 Nov 1998, John M. Atkinson wrote:

> >	    I have a book on M1s that covers a good chunk of the Gulf
War.
> > I'll check it out to see if there were any casualties.  I think that
the
> > M1 loses were *minimal* anyway. :)
>
> Yes, but minimal does not equal none.

	The US Army's VII Corp had 9 M1s destroyed and 4 M1s damaged.
In
the entire Desert Storm, 9 M1s were destroyed and 9 were damaged.  No
M1s
were destroyed by enemy fire, it was all fratricide and mines.	At least
7
M1s took direct hits from 125mm rounds from T-72s.  None penetrated and
none were disabled.  In one instance, an M1 was hit by two 125mm
projectiles from 500m away; one hit the hull front and the other the
turret front.  The result was no injury to the crew and no debilitating
injury to the tank.

	In one instance, an M1 was hit by 1 T-72.  The M1 returned fire
and destroyed the T-72 before it's autoloader could cycle another round!

	The nine M1s damaged were all considered repairable.  Some were
dmaged by 125mm rounds and RPG rounds.	No crew were killed while inside
the tank.  A number were wounded when unbuttoned, though.

	Laterish!

	Ken

Prev: Re: [ds] Ogres Next: Re: Tank Riders {SG2]