Prev: Re: [ds] Modern Tanks. Next: Re: Neo Rhomanoi ships

Re: [ds] Modern Tanks.

From: Kenneth Winland <kwinland@c...>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 00:53:09 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: [ds] Modern Tanks.

	Howdy!

On Thu, 12 Nov 1998, Andrew & Alex wrote:

>     Tom Clancy quotes directly from the people who were there in the
Gulf
> War and in the battle of 73 Easting in his book "Armoured Cavalry".
But I'm
> always open to more correct information and different points of view.
Can
> you supply the title, author and perhaps the ISBN of your source?
Thanks!

	Tom is a fiction writer.  He also does well researched
"non-fiction".	However, he is prone to inflating stories and adding a
little "propaganda" to the US military machine.  Nothing wrong with
that...:)  His sub book was rife with such "interesting
re-interpretations", as some of the Navy personnel call it.  I know this
because I worked with people who built the subs and people who served in
them.  Admittedly, there is a LOT that they cannot talk about, so some
of
Tom's stuff is either gentle misinformation or just plain wrong
guesstimations.

	Tom Clancy is not a recognized expert on military matters.  Ask
any student of military history or weapons.  His books ARE a good
read, though.

	If you are interested, you can find a number of good technical
books authored by Steve J. Zaloga, who is recognized as one of the
world's leading experts on armour and the modern military.  I can
recommend wholeheartedly any of his New Vanguard series of books, as
well
as a number of books that he wrote concerning the European theatre of
war
(well, *proposed* European Theatre of War...<G>)
and the Middle East.  His stuff on the Six Day War and the Yom Kippur
War
was keen.  I can supply titles and ISBNs, if you like.	They are all
well
done and good references.

	Also of interest are the occasional publications from the
Aberdeen Proving Ground.  Lots of good tech stuff, but hard to find.
The
Jane's Defense stuff you already know about.

	Laterish!

	Ken

Prev: Re: [ds] Modern Tanks. Next: Re: Neo Rhomanoi ships