Prev: Re: HO/20MM grav vehicles etc... Next: Re: FT: Indy hits with many p-torps, history made!

Re: [ds] Ogres

From: Brian Burger <burger00@c...>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 14:42:03 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [ds] Ogres

On Wed, 11 Nov 1998, Andrew & Alex wrote:

> Thomas Anderson wrote:
> >i'd be interested to know what equipment you would give it. a
challenger
> >has a 120 mm main gun, a coax 7.62 mm MG, a pintle 7.62 mm MG and
some
> >smoke launchers.
> >
> >size 6 is 30 cp. a turreted size 5 gun is 15 cp. an extra apsw is 1
cp (if
> >you think that an apsw is a 7.62 mm mg; i'd be tempted to say that
both
> >together count as one). what takes up the rest of the room?
>
>     Well, I've been thinking about 120mm guns. And, even though in
recent
> posts, I've suggested that 120mm guns are size 5, I'm now thinking
that
> modern western 120mm guns are size 6 HVC with HKP range. I would put
Soviet
> and Chinese guns as one step worse and with HVC range. I would also
suggest
> that Western fire control is even better than Brilliant fire control
(1D12).
> Perhaps even to the stage of allowing a secondary crew quality roll,
much
> like SGII, to help in hitting the target. Or even allowing automatic
hits if
> the crew are not underfire.
>     So, we've got a size 6 gun in a turret (18CP) and one extra APSW
(1CP);
> a total of 19CP with 6CP spare, assuming a size 5 hull. I would
suggest that
> out of the remaining 6CP, 1CP is wasted. The vehicle hull has one or
two
> levels of stealth (assumed to be better manufacturing methods, rather
than
> DSII's electronic stealth field) and the remaining 5CP could be used
to help
> improve frontal armour to, say, level 6. Smoke dischargers don't count
for
> capacity.
>     I've assumed that you can spend spare capacity on improving armour
> level. As a rough guide, using CP equal to front armour level
increases
> front armour level by one. This would cost about 1-2 points per CP
used.
>     Challengers and M1A2s are reputed to be quite tough. See Tom
Clancy's
> book on the US armoured cavalry for more. Both the Challenger and the
M1A2
> are very similar at this level of detail.

I assume this is for moderns-only DS2, and not M1a1 vs future tech
stuff.
If it's for moderns vs futuretech, then I think you're being way, way to
generous to modern western armour.

If it's for moderns-only, I still think you might be being too generous
-
it is possible to kill an M1, and they don't automatically kill anything
that comes into range. They're very very very tough, and very lethal,
but
I do think you're being too generous.

Brian (burger00@camosun.bc.ca)
-- http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Nebula/9774/ --DS2/SG2/games
webpage--

<thomas.anderson@university-college.oxford.ac.uk>
> To: FTGZG-L@bolton.ac.uk <FTGZG-L@bolton.ac.uk>
> Date: Wednesday, 11 November 1998 9:42 AM
> Subject: Re: [ds] Ogres

> size
> >>	 My rule of thumb indicates a size 6 vehicle. That's a good
starting
> >> point for a design. I would feel free to modify the VSC +/- 1 to
better
> >> simulate the real world vehicle.
> >
> >i'd be interested to know what equipment you would give it. a
challenger
> >has a 120 mm main gun, a coax 7.62 mm MG, a pintle 7.62 mm MG and
some
> >smoke launchers.
> >
> >size 6 is 30 cp. a turreted size 5 gun is 15 cp. an extra apsw is 1
cp (if
> >you think that an apsw is a 7.62 mm mg; i'd be tempted to say that
both
> >together count as one). what takes up the rest of the room?

> be
> >>	 Actually, they would probably be very similar sizes. Tanks do
have to
> >> fit onto trains, roads and, in future, space ship hulls. Transport
is
> more a
> >> limiting factor than near future, non-nanotech, tech level.
> >
> >true. roads are already quite wide in places - if your heavy armour
units
> >(size 5 100-tonners) only travel on motorways or cross-country you're
ok.
> >rail may get wider as the need for rapid mass cargo transport
increases.
> >as for the size of spacecraft, that's anyone's guess (except in the
> >official background).
> >
> >i also refer you to mike eliott's post on ft-fb / ds2 interfacing,
where
> >20 tonnes per cp was "SUGGESTED". not chapter and verse (in gzg, can
> >anything be?), but i still think it's right.
> >
> >>	 A HVC with the range of HKP is probably the best alternative.
> >
> >probably fair enough. i have seen designs where M1A1s have HKP,
though.
> >alternatively, you could say that the hvc is a gun 10 years down the
line
> >from now, so the M1A1 or challenger 2 gun is really a shorter-ranged
hvc,
> >and the gun on the Long Drive (what are modern chinese tanks called?)
is