Prev: Re: [FT] Automated site for new fleet book Next: Re: [sg2] Non-lethal/riot weapons

Re: Low-Tech Forces in DSII

From: Chen-Song Qin <cqin@e...>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 19:18:35 -0700 (MST)
Subject: Re: Low-Tech Forces in DSII

On Tue, 3 Nov 1998, Thomas Barclay wrote:

> I've got data that suggests some ballistae fired nearly a quarter
> mile, which would be over 400m. And what they fired was a multipound
> javelin like projectile.

Ahh, I think ballistae would be fired with a nice ballistic curve,
unlike
crossbows. But remember that the bow equivalent of this range would be
about 900 m.

> > as we see them. (i.e. composite or metal armor that could stop
small-arms
> > fire)
>
> Okay, not without a good unobtainium steel head. But if they had the
> right metals on the head, the force might be sufficient.

Probably not if the PA can already stop small arms fire.  I don't think
it
matters what -ium penetrator you get, the velocity would still be too
low.

> True. But, from a guerilla tactics POV, modern weapons with rifled
> barrels can't arch (indirect fire) too easily, and they are noisy.
> The bow would offer some advantages. Why can I see some SF unit
> operating in perhaps a combustible atmosphere using a non-sparking
> polymer bow with a polymer-elastomer bowstring that fires a
> monofilament edged arrow.... just for the silent sentry kill.....

Oh, of course these things would be effective in some circumstances
(except maybe the ballista).  I'd be the last person to sell old
technology short, especially bows.  I can certainly see a bow being used
in a SF type situation for silent kills.  Some of those 70-80 pound
modern
hunting compounds are *very* nice (or nasty depending on your point of
view :).  The ones with the fibreoptic or holographic sights especially.
(I'm not making this up!)

-

If your parents didn't have any children, neither will you.

-

Prev: Re: [FT] Automated site for new fleet book Next: Re: [sg2] Non-lethal/riot weapons