Prev: Re: Full Thrust : Electronic Warfare Next: Re: Fleet Control System

Re: Gurkhas was:[SG2] [DS2] A list of questions on TOE and logis

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 10:30:07 -0500
Subject: Re: Gurkhas was:[SG2] [DS2] A list of questions on TOE and logis

Tony spake thusly upon matters weighty:

>	One of my familys friends was a vet of Tobruk. Apparently a unit
of
> Gurkhas were there for at least part of the siege and they were great
> trench raiders. The worst part about them though was that if you felt
> hand on your neck at night you had to remain still, if you struggled
you
> must be German. In those days Commonwealth troops had metal badges on
their
> collars either national symbol or service badge. What the Gurkhas were
> doing was feeling for the badge. One night this bloke was on sentry
duty
> when he felt a hand at his neck. This hand felt his badge (Aus Army
rising
> sun symbol) and a quiet voice said "Oh, hello Aussie" and disappeared.

That reminded me. Grandad told me they used to go out in WWI into
NoMans land, and apparently troops nearby were instructed to lace
their boots a certain way. They'd creep upon sentries, feel their
lace pattern, and if they determined it was not the correct
pattern... Bob's your Uncle and they had another set of ears. Very
quiet, very effective.

(BTW, We'd best draw this back OT or terminate it before Der
ListenFuhrer(TM) makes his presence felt).

I wonder if anyone has a TO&E for 2185 Ghurkas as part of the NAC?

Tom.
Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: Re: Full Thrust : Electronic Warfare Next: Re: Fleet Control System