Prev: RE: [SG2] [DS2] Logistics Next: Re: [FT] SOF Insertion

Re: [GZG] [HIST] Military Hackers

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 13:03:42 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] [HIST] Military Hackers

Samuel spake thusly upon matters weighty:

> In message <909864946.2126303.0@rimmer.acs.bolton.ac.uk>
>	    Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@sofkin.ca> wrote:
>
> > I'm sorry, but I don't think even a well equipped hacker
> > with a Sparc 1000 and a lot of hacker-info can stand up to a team of

> > 10 anti-hackers with several supercomputers and millions of hours of

> > custom designed anti-hacker software.
>
> Replace the single Sparc equipped hacker (or cracker) with a dozen
> armed with a score of supercomputers and millions of hours of custom
> desgined cracking software, and the defenders start having problems
> again.

Sure. The scenario was a terrorist (which I assume to not mean
foreign agent). If Japan and NAC square off, then it is tech/quality
vs tech/quality and to the winner goes the mostly working
computer/comms systems...

> Even if someone does develop an un-crackable OS security system,
> sooner or later someone else will upgrade it to the newest, better
> version, together with all its new security bugs... :)

Sure. But my point was there is a balance, but it isn't static, the
fulcrum moves. In 2185, I think you might see the fulcrum as closer
to the security side than it is now rather than vice versa (and no
smart coments about the actual effects on applied force of having the
fulcrum closer to you... it was a visual example....)

Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: RE: [SG2] [DS2] Logistics Next: Re: [FT] SOF Insertion