Prev: RE: [SG2] [DS2] A list of questions on TOE and logistics Next: Re: Chat on Halloween

RE: [SG2] [DS2] A list of questions on TOE and logistics

From: "Jim 'Jiji' Foster" <jiji@m...>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 1998 10:50:57 -0700
Subject: RE: [SG2] [DS2] A list of questions on TOE and logistics

On Mon, 2 Nov 1998 12:50:25    Thomas Barclay wrote:
>Michael spake thusly upon matters weighty:
>
>> Food, water will remain the high bulk, high need items
>
></EXPOSE SELF AS SOMEONE WHO REMEMBERS SCIENCE.. MAYBE>
>Isn't it possible that some fusion processes produce drinkable water
>as a byproduct and that therefore helps here a lot...
></EXPOSE SELF AS SOMEONE WHO REMEMBERS SCIENCE.. MAYBE>
>
>(I could be smoking rope.)

Actually, I think it's the hydrogen fuel cell, which basically 'burns'
hydrogen and oxygen at very high efficiency, producing electricity and
water. It's not a fusion process, as I understand it.

2300AD had these units as closed systems powering starships. The water
was reclaimed and 'cracked' by energy gathered in-system by solar
panels. Then the resulting hydrogen/oxygen was re-used ad infinitum, so
long as a source of electricity to recharge the system was available.

If one used a non-closed version of this system (scoop hydrogen and
other volatiles from gas giants, crack with solar power, use the water
that's the byproduct of 'burning' for consumption) it could be a decent
supply, but would it be the most efficient one?

I'll leave that to the more knowledgable on this list.

-----== Sent via Deja News, The Discussion Network ==-----
http://www.dejanews.com/  Easy access to 50,000+ discussion forums

Prev: RE: [SG2] [DS2] A list of questions on TOE and logistics Next: Re: Chat on Halloween