Prev: RE: [SG2] [DS2] A list of questions on TOE and logistics Next: RE: [SG2] [DS2] A list of questions on TOE and logistics

Re: [erm] space mirrors

From: "Andrew & Alex" <Al.Bri@x...>
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 1998 10:12:14 +1300
Subject: Re: [erm] space mirrors

Thomas Anderson <thomas.anderson@university-college.oxford.ac.uk> wrote:
>i read in the latest Nature (v395 p833) that the russians are to deploy
>2.5-metre mirror from the Mir space station; they claim it should be
>visible from some northern cities as a moving spot with the brightess
of 5
>to 10 full moons. this is a proof-of-principle experiment, but i think
the
>idea is that in future, bigger and more numerous mirrors will be
deployed
>to supply light during power failures, rescue operations, etc.
    The concept, if I recall correctly, is that the Russians intend to
put
up an extremely large mirror to increase the temperature in various
siberian
cities by several degrees by reflecting the sun's light on to the
ground. So
making the place easier to live in at winter.
    I don't think it was intended to be an extra source of illumination
at
night.
    I think a space mirror would be easily cleared by using a space ship
catch it and tow it away.
    Assuming enemy space craft aren't available, the reverse, a sun
shield,
could decrease temperatures in opponents cities, could help freeze over
rivers in cold climates, darken key intersections (I don't think that
this
would have a significant effect).

Andrew Martin
Shared email: Al.Bri@xtra.co.nz