Prev: Re: [erm] space mirrors Next: [SG2] [DS2] A list of questions on TOE and logistics

Re: [FT] SOF Insertion

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 15:19:21 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] SOF Insertion

Brian spake thusly upon matters weighty:

I believe the aerospace vehicle deploys a hook (Hence Fulton Skyhook)
and the operator deploys a balloon tied to a rope or whatever. (He is
attached to this). The vehicle makes a pass, snags the cable with the
hook, and presto changeo off goes the operator into the sky at teh
end of the cable. Then they are reeled in. I imagine the acceleration
is quite obnoxious on the individual. I would think using a bungee
would be better (Los anyone tried this?). In the future, acceleration
cushioning via an intertial damper (portable) may let you reduce the
effects of this acceleration making htis more useful.

> On Fri, 30 Oct 1998, Los wrote:
>
> > They need to be picked up by a specailops vehicle just as they were
dropped
> off. Taht's why it's mportant to spend time designing that ship so
that it's
> stealthy. I suppose beanstalk is possible (if your tech supports
> > it). But what's the signature? As is a fulton like system
> >(they're really almost never ever used because the fatality rate is
so
> >high)
>
> What's a 'fulton like system'? Real world tech or speculative stuff?
> Curious,
>
> Brian (burger00@camosun.bc.ca)
> -- http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Nebula/9774 -- my gaming & misc
pages.

> >  Insertion and extraction of SF teams are major operations usually
> involving LARGE amounts of support even for one little ship going
down.

> > Los

Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: Re: [erm] space mirrors Next: [SG2] [DS2] A list of questions on TOE and logistics