Prev: Re: [FT] SOF Insertion Next: Re: any military SF wes sites

Re: [FT] Counter Railgun techniques....

From: Los <los@c...>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 18:23:18 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] Counter Railgun techniques....

Wasserman, Kurt wrote:

> Los,
>
> Not that I am in favor of Kra'Vak dominance of the galaxy or anything
but...
> <G>

Note that most ships don't have superior sensors so it's not tthat big a
threat.

> If we go with the idea that a railgun shot is really a number of
> hypervelocity projectiles, wouldn't it make more sense to apply the -1
> modifier to the damage roll? (or even -1 to the Net Damage?)	Each PDS
that
> hits would then degrade the incoming shot's damage since the PDS
wouldn't
> actually interfere with the targeting ship.

Sure that would work too. EXcept that it doesn't prevent Hits. Might
have to try
both flavors. I think I'd rather apply it to te to hit roll since damage
should
do full strength.

> On #3, I assume you mean each PDS "hit" on an incoming RG shot, eh?

yes. (That's against the to hit roll not the damage roll.

> On #4, I would allow the target to devote multiple PDS systems to RG
> interception. (provided that each PDS hit degrades RG damage and not
> modifies the RG "to hit" roll)

SO the player can say I'm dedicating three PDS to intercept. If he gets
lucky
and rolls three 6s it still only counts as one -1 to hit.

> Can the PDS also make an "area" defense roll or is it specifically for
the
> target?  Maybe if a ship with superior sensors and available PDS
systems are
> within 3MU of a target ship, it can make a shot(using a fire control,
of
> course) to defend...

I would say no but we'll have to playtest it.

Los

> -=Kr'rt
>
> > ----------
> > From:	  Los[SMTP:los@cris.com]
> > PROCEDURE FOR INTERCEPT.
> > 1. The RG firer announces his fire. If it is in the Long range band
(or
> > 18"), then....
> > 2. The target ship, if it has superior sensors can roll against the
fire
> > with it's PDS. Once PDS battery may fire per railgun shot. On a 5,6
the
> > PDS intercpets at least some of the incoming armatures.
> > 3. When the firer rolls to hit. Every RG shot that was intercepted
> > appiles a -1 modifier to hit.
> > 4. The defender may not make multiple PDS rolls against a single RG.
> > 5. Any PDS used in counter RG fire is done firing for the turn.
> > 6. Supoerior sensors used in RG tracking capacity may not be used in
any
> > other non-RG sensing attempts for the turn.
> >
> > Notes:
> > A. I see RG shots as not one projectiles launched against a target
but
> > more likely a burst of armature like a machine-gun. Hense PDS only
> > degrades RG fire not necessarily stop it cold.
> >
> > B. A UN patrol cruiser stumbled across this technique during
HARBINGER