Prev: Re: (DSII) Question about Infantry Walkers Next: RE: [SG and DSII] Question about Infantry Walkers

Re: Fleet Control System

From: Jon Davis <davis@a...>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 18:39:32 -0500
Subject: Re: Fleet Control System

> >As an alternative, particularly in larger engagements where seeing
that one
> >order might cause the rewrite of the entire fleet (!), just the
knowledge
> >of the orders can be particularly powerful when fighters and/or SMLs
are
> >involved. I don't like the peek/modification idea. A peek only system
might
> >be better.
>
> O.K.	Perhaps thats the best.  With SMs and Fighters, the knowledge is
> powerful enough anyway.  I may keep it at just a peek.

Even a peek can be an overwhelming advantage and unbalancing.  It would
have to stand the scrutiny of a couple of play test sessions.

I like the ideas of the firing advantage and the initiative.  The system
could be used to bid on getting the initiative for the combat round.
Each point from the fleet control system could add one to the initiative
die roll.

> >I like it. I would limit it to ONE point allowed for any activation,
> >essentially limiting this to two ships acting at the same time
without the
> >other player getting a word in edgewise. He could then only spend
another
> >point on his next activation.
>
> O.K.	Sounds good.

I like this idea too.  If the "blocking" action is dropped, the Fleet
Control system can be concisely defined in a simple set of rules.

a. Roll for Fleet Control points (with basic, enhanced, and superior
systems)
b. Uses
    - Die roll modifier for initiative
    - "Predict" a ship's movement
    - Activation and "firing link" between two friendly ships

Jon Davis
davis@albany.net

Prev: Re: (DSII) Question about Infantry Walkers Next: RE: [SG and DSII] Question about Infantry Walkers