Prev: RE: [DSII] [Tech] Battlefield Awareness (Was: [GZG] [HIST] Milit Next: Re: [DSII] [Tech] Battlefield Awareness (Was: [GZG] [HIST] Military Hackers)

RE: [DSII] [Tech] Battlefield Awareness (Was: [GZG] [HIST] Milita ry Hackers)

From: "Glover, Owen" <oglover@m...>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 08:30:25 +1000
Subject: RE: [DSII] [Tech] Battlefield Awareness (Was: [GZG] [HIST] Milita ry Hackers)

If you read the novels by Rick Shelley (Camerein, Buchanan and DMC),
Platoon
Commanders have access to SIGINT resources that detail the location of
all
the 'battle helmets' (en and fr) and other electronic comms devices on
the
battlefield. Well it is a two edged sword; using the electronic map
board
opens you up to detection and of course there is then the tactic of the
enemy turning his 'helmet' off and thus avoiding detection. Also the use
of
transponders to place decoy helmets and equipment on the 'battlefield'.
There are some interesting ambushes where teh enemies prescence is made
known both by fire and the electronics 'firing up'.

In DS this is well reperesented by no hidden movement.

In SG you could do similar, but if you wish for hidden movement then
perhaps
no communications allowed including of course the squads on the ground
can't
report enemy sightings back to HQ without revealing themselves!?

Owen G