Prev: Re: Origins of the red hand of Ulster (OT) (Hist) Next: [ot] hypergeometry was Re: FT Combo: Super Carriers and FTL

Re: [fh] nac vexilliology was Re: Awards andAnthems(andnowsomebackground) [OT] [HIST]

From: Thomas Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 12:20:38 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: [fh] nac vexilliology was Re: Awards andAnthems(andnowsomebackground) [OT] [HIST]

On Tue, 27 Oct 1998, laserlight wrote:
> > > The Welsh national arms is unheraldic already - per fess argent
and
> > > vert,
> > > a dragon gules (don't remember the correct term for the dragon's
pose);
> > > the dragon is placed squarely over the division, so half of it is
on
> > the green.***
>
> If it's over a division of the field, and at least half the field is
> correct, it's acceptable.  (You wouldn't have a red dragon on, say, a
field
> of black and green).

aha. i was not aware of this rule.

> To lump together other quibbles and address them:
>   Flags, as well as shields, should be correct.  Generally a metal
(gold
> and silver) goes on a color (red, green, blue, black, purple), or vice
> versa; colors shouldn't be on colors nor metals on metals.  Sometimes
> people ignore the rules (the Kingdom of Jerusalem had, as I recall,
gold
> crosses on a white field);

the main argument i have with the metals and tinctures rule is that gold
on white looks really good, as in the kingdom of jerusalem. i'd
introduce
a house rule that metal on metal is ok, but colour on colour is not. and
make up some future history to justify it ("at the 2013 convocation of
the
college of heralds, the lord lyon finally bowed to pressure from the
Merrillites and allowed the use of charges or on a field argent").

Tom