Prev: Re: [GZG] [HIST] Military Hackers Next: Re: [fh] nac vexilliology was Re: Awards andAnthems(andnowsomebackground) [OT] [HIST]

Re: [SG2] [DS2] Sniper factoids (OT?)

From: Jon Davis <davis@a...>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 01:01:34 -0500
Subject: Re: [SG2] [DS2] Sniper factoids (OT?)

Jim 'Jiji' Foster wrote:
> Anyhow, they did have mention of a book like I was looking for,
>  _The German Sniper, 1914-1945_ by Peter Senich.... but it's a
> "serious" history book that lists for $60! Maybe the local
> library can get it....however that still leaves a blank as far
> as Soviet sniping doctrine in that era. And yes, I have
> read _Enemy At The Gates_; an excellent book.
> Wish I could find a copy of my own...

Unfortunately, according to Amazon Books, it is out of print. You
would have to scour the library system or a used book store to
find a copy.

John Hill, the designer of AH Squad Leader, references this book
in his design notes for that game.  He cites the severe penalties
suffered by the troops when a leader is shot and killed.  A
German captain is killed in the Northern suburbs and his veteran
men break down and weep as he's dying in the middle of a combat
action.

Jon