Prev: Re: [fh] nac vexilliology was Re: Awards and Anthems(andnowsomebackground) [OT] [HIST] Next: Re: [fh] nac vexilliology was Re: Awards and Anthems(andnowsomebackground) [OT] [HIST]

Re: [DS and SG] Tech dispersal to the frontier

From: "John M. Atkinson" <john.m.atkinson@e...>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 15:28:55 -0800
Subject: Re: [DS and SG] Tech dispersal to the frontier

Jim 'Jiji' Foster wrote:

> Will you allow arms dealers to continue selling hi-tech even after the
start of hostilities? Cost will go up, but it opens the strategic gamble
of spending more up front to hopefully overwhelm your opponents quickly
with superior technology. If the strategy works out, expensive, limited
resupply from off-world would be acceptable limitations. This would also
make space superiority and control of starports important tactical and
strategic goals for the players.

Oh, sure you can.  It just

a)takes a long time (gotta ship in, I'm going to set up a 2 month lead
time--send out the ships, pick it up, bring it back in)
b)gets shut down if the Empire throws sanctions on the warring parties
for whatever reason
c)gets real expensive
d)requires your own merchant hulls (no one ships into a war zone without
military escort, and I don't forsee any of the jump-capable warships
surviving past initial hostilities).
e)is vulnerable to interdiction from the other guy--and given that their
only spaceports will be in their capital cities, taking them will mean
the war is over anyway.

John M. Atkinson