Prev: Re: [FT] Point value for the NAC Valley Forge SDN Next: RE:[FT] Paint schemes for different ships

Re: [FT] FTL Travel

From: laserlight <laserlight@m...>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 03:37:12 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] FTL Travel

> I've begun some more tentative work on my FT campaign, and I have
become
> curious...how many people use the "standard" GZG Jump system for FTL?
> Thanks to David Brin, I'm working with the assumption that there are a
> number of different ways to circumvent the laws of physics.  Other
than
> employing an engineer with a really bad accent, of course.

I use the Alderson Drive you mentioned.  I can see there are a number of
ways FTL *might* work, but I have difficulty swallowing that the
universe
is actually going to give us five or six (or more!) ways of FTL.  I
would
limit it to one method, and add your flavor to that one method.  (For
example: Moties can make passage at higher real-space velocities because
they can still hit the Alderson Point--but they have more serious mental
debilitation from each jump than humans.  They still use Alderson Drive,
of
course not built the same way the humans do).

Prev: Re: [FT] Point value for the NAC Valley Forge SDN Next: RE:[FT] Paint schemes for different ships