Prev: Re: [DS and SG] Tech dispersal to the frontier Next: RE: [DS and SG] Tech dispersal to the frontier

Re: [fh] nac vexilliology was Re: Awards and Anthems(and now somebackground) [OT] [HIST]

From: laserlight <laserlight@m...>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 18:44:36 -0500
Subject: Re: [fh] nac vexilliology was Re: Awards and Anthems(and now somebackground) [OT] [HIST]

> >so, the nac-as-a-whole symbol is the crown, and the following things
have
> >the following symbols positioned under the crown:
> >
> >england - three lions
leopards, technically--a lion in a specific position

> >scotland - lion rampant / thistle
unicorn

> >wales - dragon
wyvern

> >ireland/ulster - harp / red hand
> >canada -  maple leaf
> >former usa - eagle
> >quebec - fleur de lys
unless they finally secede

> >brazil - astral globe (off current flag) etc
> >army - war department arrowhead
the broad arrow is/was a symbol for government property, including for
example prison garb

> >navy - anchor
the fouled anchor of the Admiralty

> >parliament - portcullis

> I like this alot!!  What colours do you suggest for the backgrounds,
> crowns, etc ( I'm not up on my heraldry....)?

I suggest a blue field.  The crown, leopards, harp, eagle, fleur de lys,
globe, and anchor should be gold.  The unicorn and broad arrow should be
white.	The wyvern, hand, and leaf should be red, which is not in
accordance with the rules of heraldry if displayed on a blue field.
Perhaps instead a canton (upper left quarter) can be changed to the
appropriate background color, e.g. for Canada white with the red leaf.

Prev: Re: [DS and SG] Tech dispersal to the frontier Next: RE: [DS and SG] Tech dispersal to the frontier