Prev: Re: [FT] Point value for the NAC Valley Forge SDN Next: Re: [DS and SG] Tech dispersal to the frontier

Re: [fh] nac vexilliology was Re: Awards and ANthems(and now som

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 18:31:44 -0500
Subject: Re: [fh] nac vexilliology was Re: Awards and ANthems(and now som

Jared spake thusly upon matters weighty:

> >> Then in each country, a figure is placed under the crown to
> >> indicate 'under the protection of the crown'. In Canada, a maple
> >> leaf. In USA, an eagle. In Ireland, a Harp.
>
> I like this idea...as well as many of the additions and suggestions
made by
> others

I'm glad. I thought it was a good one.

> >> And commonwealth vessels would display the Gold-Crown-On-Red flag
of
> >> the Commonwealth and this would be the shoulder flashes of NAC
> >> forces.
>
> >what if the former usa (minus cal-tex) has been broken up into more
> >manageable chunks, like new england, the southeast, the midwest, etc.
do
> >these areas, larger than a state, have their own symbols? do such
> >divisions even exist in the american worldview?
>
> The division of into more manageable territories seems very plausible
(if
> you can swallow the initial 'US reabsorbed by Commonwealth' business -
but
> that's the assumption were operating under...)

Seems likely. For the Crown, it leads to a commonwealth of
territories each smaller in power. It pits (in an economic sense)
former US regions against each other and that helps the Crown
maintain control. Also, it reduces the impact of US Nationalism and
helps to diverge the interests of US regions such that they don't
act as one big hammer in the NAC Commonwealth.

Here is another one (aside): Where is the NAC Parliament Located?

> In some ways there are such divisions, in other ways, no.  I am not
aware
> of any symbols for regions, or even a strongly communicated sense of
> identity for any of them.  The divisions are usually used by people to
> identify all the other regions, but not their own - I guess that may
be
> because they have their sense of identity, but haven't developed a
fine
> sense for the identity of others.

You could have Pacific Northwest, MidWest, Pacific SouthWest (maybe
this is FCT?), South, New England, Atlantic Coast, North East? Maybe
some US folk on the list would suggest 5-8 regional areas the states
(Minus Texas, California and probably some of NM or Arizona) could be
divided into and which states would be in which regions?

> Of course I have to wonder what happens to Alaska in this scenario -
We are
> classified as part of the northwestern US, but have very little in
common
> with any other NW states.  Probably have more in common with the Yukon
> Territory than any other location, except Alaska is more conservative
- I
> suppose that if we had to suffer the indignity of re-absorbtion the
Yukon
> would be a good sister-state - lots of land, very few people.  Nat'l
> resource intensive economy.  I guess I should find out a bit more
about the
> Yukon administration...

You mean the new Territory of Nunavut (sp?) that will encompass a lot
of Yukon, NWT, and probably in the future, Alaska. Maybe this Region
is known as the Artic North and their device is a Husky or maybe a
Polar Bear?

> >so, the nac-as-a-whole symbol is the crown, and the following things
have
> >the following symbols positioned under the crown:
>
> >england - three lions
> >scotland - lion rampant / thistle
> >wales - dragon
> >ireland/ulster - harp / red hand
> >canada -  maple leaf
> >former usa - eagle

Probably we need the regional themes.

> >quebec - fleur de lys
> >brazil - astral globe (off current flag) etc

What about the other south american and central american regions?
Anyone care to comment or suggest what would be appropriate symbols?

> Sounds good!	What precedents are there for rendering the symbols onto
> other color fields, and what might be resonable uses of differing
field
> colors?  (Gov't branches, different commonwealth member states,
military
> service v. civilian or police use, etc...)

Well, Heraldic rules (often followed on flags) indicate a Metal
(Silver/White, Gold/Yellow, and a few others) can't be put on another
metal and a colour (Blue, Red, Purple, Green, etc.) can't be put on
another colour.

I could see the Nautical Navy flag being a Navy Blue field, featuring
a Golden Crown and under it a Pair of Golden Anchors crossed. (Or a
single anchor?). The Space Navy might have a Midnight blue field (not
quite black which is dishonour) or Navy field with a Gold Crown over
a Silver 8 pointed Star. The Army might use a Red Background and
Feature a Crown over a Pair of Crossed Rifles or Crossed Swords
(Silver/White). The Marines might use a Navy Field with the Crown
(Gold/Yellow) over both a smaller Silver/White (same thing) Star and
under it a pair of Crossed Swords (Cutlasses).	The Diplomatic
Service may use A Red Flag, Gold Crown and a White/Silver Dove (okay
its wishy washy but best I could think of). The Air Force (Close
Orbit and Aerospace Control Force) would have a Light Blue Field with
a Gold Crown suspended over a Silver Gull. (Or maybe a wing?).

Many civil service branches would just use the standard Red Field,
Gold Crown of the Commonwealth. I'd say that Member states retain the
Red Field and the Crown (like we talked of above) but the symbol down
below is dependent (as previously suggested) on the state in
question.

Civilian Judiciary might use a Red background, Gold Crown suspended
over a Golden Gavel. Military courts would use the colour of
background of their service.

As for police, I don't have much input. Except to suggest that the
Mounties might use a pair of mouse ears... (grin). This is a whole
other kettle of fish....

Just like the question of where did NAC military units come from, the
same question can be asked of their police. And the question of how
universal and monolithic NAC law is bears examination too as this
will impact policing.

Tom.
Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: Re: [FT] Point value for the NAC Valley Forge SDN Next: Re: [DS and SG] Tech dispersal to the frontier