Prev: RE: [FT] UN ship design Next: Re: [fh] nac vexilliology was Re: Awards and ANthems(and now some background) [OT] [HIST]

Re: [DS and SG] Tech dispersal to the frontier

From: Jonathan Jarrard <jjarrard@f...>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 17:17:11 -0500
Subject: Re: [DS and SG] Tech dispersal to the frontier

Adrian Johnson wrote:

> >I see inner system corporations producing high-cost, low maintenance,
> >extended life-span systems for export to colony worlds, perhaps
> >providing a range of packages that are tailored to the level of local
> >tech and industrial support that is available.
>
> For sure this makes sense - but just the same way that US equipment
> out-tech's today's obsolete-but-reliable gear used by poorer nations,
the
> equipment of the 23rd century would have the same kind of relative
values.
> I don't think we were necessarily saying that the colony world
equipment
> would be equivalent to AK47's and vietnam era tactical radios, but
that
> there would be an EQUIVALENT difference in tech capability between the
> leading edge stuff fielded by the main powers and what can be
supported by
> a colony with a limited industrial infrastructure / economy.
>
> Adrian

I agree.  I was just getting at the fact that I suspect that colonies
might not WANT the actually obsolete stuff, even if it is cheap, because
they couldn't maintain it.  Then again, looking at Libya's army, where
there's almost no repetition of individual MODEL vehicle, let alone
manufacturer or interchangable spare parts, and where the artillery uses
an astounding array of different calibers, there's bound to be a market
for everything.