Prev: [DS] [SG] was RE: [DS and SG] Regiments of the Crown Next: Re: [FT] UN ship design

Re: [DS] [SG] was RE: [DS and SG] Regiments of the Crown

From: Los <los@c...>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 21:38:13 -0500
Subject: Re: [DS] [SG] was RE: [DS and SG] Regiments of the Crown

Glover, Owen wrote:

> Snipers in SG are probably going to be very rarely seen. Snipers
> traditionally (and doctrinally) engage at very long ranges; 500m plus.
In SG
> the Sniper ranges are double normal range bands. So, given a Veteran
sniper
> figure, long range is 5 range bands ie 100 inches, 4 range bands is 80
> inches and 3 range bands 60 inches! So, in most average sized games on
> 6'x4' or 8'x6' table there is very little scope (forgive the pun) to
employ
> a sniper team except in a very static manner.

I liike the way Advanced Squad Leader deals with snipers. They're not
put on the
board. (Shit if eitehr side can see a sniper thaen he's a shitty sniper.
Nor do
sniperss work under direct control of anyone except in the loosest sense
(excepts in very specialized SPECOPS situations). ANyway, in ASL each
side has
an SAN (Siper Activation Number)  Lets say for one side it's a 5 and one
side
it's a two (most ASL DRs are 2 six sided dice so the guy with a 6 has a
better
sniper). Whenever teh enemy rolls your SAN it activates your sniper. Now
keep in
mind that you put a marker down on the table. When teh SAN is rolled a
second
roll is made to see if the Sniper gets a shot off. If so you then are
allowed to
target tehnearest unit to the marker. Then you roll for damage. The
Sniper
marker is now at the point where the last shot was taking. (You can also
forgo
taking teh shot and move the marker instead.) After the shot the enemy
has a
chance to counter sniper.

Los

Prev: [DS] [SG] was RE: [DS and SG] Regiments of the Crown Next: Re: [FT] UN ship design