Prev: Re: ADLER TAG AAR (and now some background) [OT] [HIST] Next: Re: Awards and ANthems(and now some background) [OT] [HIST]

Re: EMP (was Re: Space crews and solar flares. )

From: Los <los@c...>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 13:19:58 -0700
Subject: Re: EMP (was Re: Space crews and solar flares. )

Christopher Pratt wrote:

> Just something that came up the other day, is there any way
> to create
> a EMP with out blowing a nuke, triggering a solar flare,
> etc...etc... (perhaps less destructive).

I don't know if it could be turned into a weapon but there's a testing
platform out in the Desert that the US uses to test EMP hardning of
systems. I've seen pictures of it. The platform is big enough to taxi a
jet liner on to. It is surrounded by what looks like banks of stadium
lights and is capable of generating EMPs comparable to that of a nuclear
weapon as you would receive assuming you were outside of the lethal
blast radius.

Los