Prev: Re: Awards and ANthems(and now some background) [OT] [HIST] Next: Re: [DS and SG] Regiments of the Crown

Re: EMP (was Re: Space crews and solar flares. )

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 14:36:36 -0500
Subject: Re: EMP (was Re: Space crews and solar flares. )

Los spake thusly upon matters weighty:

I had heard the US was working on a deployable technology which could
do this. I think I heard missiles (like HARMS in targeting, but using
EMP for effect). Nasty for FT.....

> Christopher Pratt wrote:
>
> > Just something that came up the other day, is there any way
> > to create
> > a EMP with out blowing a nuke, triggering a solar flare,
> > etc...etc... (perhaps less destructive).
> >

> I don't know if it could be turned into a weapon but there's a testing
> platform out in the Desert that the US uses to test EMP hardning of
> systems. I've seen pictures of it. The platform is big enough to taxi
> jet liner on to. It is surrounded by what looks like banks of stadium
> lights and is capable of generating EMPs comparable to that of a
nuclear
> weapon as you would receive assuming you were outside of the lethal
> blast radius.
>
> Los

Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: Re: Awards and ANthems(and now some background) [OT] [HIST] Next: Re: [DS and SG] Regiments of the Crown