Prev: Re: [FT][DS][SG][HIST] Just wondering... Next: Re: Awards and ANthems(and now some background) [OT] [HIST]

Re: [DS and SG] Regiments of the Crown

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 14:21:49 -0500
Subject: Re: [DS and SG] Regiments of the Crown

Randall spake thusly upon matters weighty:

> Here is a question, how is the Army of the Confederation organized?
Does it
> use a version of the British Regimental system?? How do American and
> Canadian units fall into this. The U.S. does use a Regimental system
of its
> own, but our regiments are numbered (with nicknames). I wonder how
this
> would work...
>
> Typical U.S. Regiments:
> 16th Infantry (dates back to the Civil War) Regular
> 34th Armor (WWII) Regular
> 7th Cavalry (At least Civil War) Regular
>

> Would Infantry Regiments be assigned a region and given a 'local'
name:

> 16th Infantry- say in North Alabama and Tennessee- The Nashville and
> Knoxville Rifles??
> 34th Armor: 34th Royal Tank Regiment??
> 7th Cavalry: Her Majesty's American Cavalry Regiment? Or... The Garry
Owen
> Dragoons!
>
> What do ya'll think??

Well, I agree with Los that you'll want to preserve unit history
(except maybe some not so hot units may be disolved and ones with too
much esprit d"America may be modified to be more Crown loyal).

But I note that Canadian Regiments have names...

The Princess Patricia's Light Infantry
The Lake Superior Scottish
The Southern Alberta Light Horse
The Governor General's Foot Gaurds
The Royal Canadian Horse Artillery
Etc.

It might make sense for the US (under NAC military leadership) to
revive the civil war style of naming units (in addition to unit
designators) so that they were 'The 1st Pennsylvania RIfles' and
such. Preserve even older US tradition. And fits well with things
like The King's Own Hussars, and The Royal Scots Borderers, etc.

Then we'll get battles like this:
NAC 2nd Georgia Mechanized Infantry with elements of the 3rd
Battallion Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders supported by
elements of the Coldstream Gaurds opposed by NSL Kampfgruppe Stehl
and elements of the Solarian 3rd People's Army.

(It just seems more interesting).
Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: Re: [FT][DS][SG][HIST] Just wondering... Next: Re: Awards and ANthems(and now some background) [OT] [HIST]