Prev: Re: Awards and ANthems(and now some background) [OT] [HIST] Next: Re: [FT][DS][SG][HIST] Just wondering...

Re: Space crews and solar flares. was Re: Space carrier fighter philosphyRe: ADLER TAG AAR

From: Los <los@c...>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 11:28:25 -0700
Subject: Re: Space crews and solar flares. was Re: Space carrier fighter philosphyRe: ADLER TAG AAR

Tony Wilkinson wrote:

>	  You could be right about it being an urban myth which is
> always the
> problem with stories like these. However I have come across this one
> several times in different places over a number of years so there must
> be
> something to it. I will admit that stories grow with the telling.

I certainly don't disagree that a dieselboat, Ausssie driven or not,
could potentially pull off such a feat. It's jsut not somethingthat is
done in peacetime. Harbors channels are very narrow and relatively
shallow basisns and it woudl be irresponsible for acaptain to attempt
suck a feat or hold an exrcize like that especially with the heavy
civilain traffic that uses teh Puget sound channel. (BTW somone has
already mentioned that they heard this took place at sea and the sub
penetrated a CV Group. That's sound more like it.

I don't know about cashiering. Somone who can penetrate a harbour like
that could be invaluable in war. He would deffinately get a big rap over

the nuckles and some sure time. Our navy could not afford to lose
someone
like that.
<<<
Hopefully the RAN is a bit less beuracratic (sp?) than the US NAVY with
such matters of irresponsibiliy. I mean a B52 pilot that could fly
underneath the Veranzano Bridge in New York City and then BUZZ Kennedy
International without getting on radar would be very skilled and
competent, but that still wouldn't save him from being cashiered for the
stunt.

Los

Prev: Re: Awards and ANthems(and now some background) [OT] [HIST] Next: Re: [FT][DS][SG][HIST] Just wondering...