Prev: Re: ADLER TAG AAR (and now some background) [OT] [HIST] Next: Re: Awards and ANthems(and now some background) [OT] [HIST]

Re: Space crews and solar flares. was Re: Space carrier fighter philosphyRe: ADLER TAG AAR

From: Tony Wilkinson <twilko@o...>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 14:23:08 +0100
Subject: Re: Space crews and solar flares. was Re: Space carrier fighter philosphyRe: ADLER TAG AAR

At 13:37 22/10/98 -0700, you wrote:
>This is, umm, how should I say, an "urban legend". If you've ever spent
>any time around any harbor then you know no skipper would ever
undertake
>such an iresponsible  hazordous activity in shallow waters in anything
>but the most dire of consequences. Most of the harbor where the sub
base
>lies is in less than 30 feet of water except for a few channels. He
>would have been cashiered by the Australian Navy at the least for
trying
>such a thing.	The run in to Puguet sound is very heavily trafficed by
>all manner of ships and subs don't even submerge until they're a half a
>day out or longer. Even at Groton, Subs don't submerge until they're
>almost a day out and off the continental shelf.
>
>Regardless, it is true that diesel boats are ingherently quieter than
>nukes. My original comment was a JOKE.
>
>Los <g>

	Firstly I did think your comment was meant as a joke and I must
apologise
if my reply was terse or arguementative as it was not ment to be. I'll
claim that I was tired.
	You could be right about it being an urban myth which is always
the
problem with stories like these. However I have come across this one
several times in different places over a number of years so there must
be
something to it. I will admit that stories grow with the telling.
	I don't know about cashiering. Somone who can penetrate a
harbour like
that could be invaluable in war. He would deffinately get a big rap over
the nuckles and some sure time. Our navy could not afford to lose
someone
like that.

	Tony.
	twilko@ozemail.com.au