Prev: Re: Space carrier fighter philosphyRe: ADLER TAG AAR Next: Re: [FT][DS][SG][HIST] Just wondering...

Space crews and solar flares. was Re: Space carrier fighter philosphyRe: ADLER TAG AAR

From: Tony Wilkinson <twilko@o...>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 01:31:09 +0100
Subject: Space crews and solar flares. was Re: Space carrier fighter philosphyRe: ADLER TAG AAR

At 18:29 21/10/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Do you think on the rare occasion when a sub surfaces (BTW missile subs
NEVER
>surface, attack subs surface when they are coming into port and ging
out)
That
>crew members are allowed to even go topside? I too have a lot of
friends that
>are sunbmariners and live near Groton which is one of the biggest sub
base
>around. When subs are surfaced there's a few (4 or 5) crewmembers up
there,
>it's not time for the crew to get out there and sunbathe. The majority
of the
>crew will not see the sun again until the tour is over.

	Even on diesels the crew never sees sun until the cruise is
over.

>I aboslutely agree. But I think you undersetimate the endurance ability
of
>crews. OK I'll leave a few rooms open for a holodeck. BTW Diesel boats?
You
>mean some navies still grub around in those things? <grin>

	Diesels are quiter for one thing because they don't need all
those pumps
to stop the nuke core melting. The new "Collins" class Australian subs
are
supposed to be the quitest subs about except for some bad design on the
prop. Sometimes old tech is and advantage. One of the Australian
"Oberon"
class subs entered the boomer base in Seattle without anyone,
particularly
the Yanks knowing about it until it surfaced. The Russians have
continued
to use values in much of their military electronic gear because it is
less
vulernable to EMP (electro magnetic pluse) effects which is basically
what
you get during a solar flare or exploding a suitable nuke in orbit.

	Tony.
	twilko@ozemail.com.au

Prev: Re: Space carrier fighter philosphyRe: ADLER TAG AAR Next: Re: [FT][DS][SG][HIST] Just wondering...