Prev: Re: ADLER TAG AAR - Soundtrack (OT) Next: Re: Space carrier fighter philosphyRe: ADLER TAG AAR

Re: ADLER TAG AAR (and now some background) [OT] [HIST]

From: Tony Wilkinson <twilko@o...>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 01:31:00 +0100
Subject: Re: ADLER TAG AAR (and now some background) [OT] [HIST]

At 12:45 21/10/98 -0500, you wrote:
>On another front, this comment above brings to mind a question (of
>historical background): What decorations are used by the various
>forces?
>
>Does NAC use both CMH and Victoria Cross? Does ESU use Order of the
>Soviet Union (what have they got since that broke up?) and some Asian
>Medals? What about NSL (Grand Cross of the Order of the Iron Cross,
>or what?). And the OU? Presumably not the VC anymore. And those
>Romanovs must have some medals to give out too.

	Us Aussies are a strange lot so we'd probably keep the VC.
Afterall all
but 1 of our 98 VC's have been won since we became an independant nation
and even with the reform of military awards (and civil ones) recently (2
yrs ago) we still retain it as the highest award. Someone else on the
list
might be able to explain our current system. All my info is 10 years
old.

>Any comments or suggestions from the list?
>
>(And Mr. John Atkinson of Imperium Nea-Romanum, I'm sure with the
>huge volume of work you've done on the Nea Rhomanoi, you must have
>some suggestions for what THEY would use for
>medals/decorations/awards for service, and I'd be interested to hear
>your thoughts too). :)

	I dont know what awards the Byzantines used but the real Romans
used a
series of crowns as awards which were each for particular feats of
bravery
and not for brave, really brave and almost stupidly brave as we have
today.
The "grass crown" (corona graminea) was for saving an entire legion. The
"civic crown" (corona civia) was for saving the life/lives of a
citizen/s.
The "walled crown" (corona murlis) for the first individual to gain a
enemy
held wall during an assault. There was also a "naval crown" that I know
of
and perhaps others. Another award was the "phalerae" which were metal
dics
or rings worn on a leather 'harness' over armour or uniform. What they
signified I dont know.

	Tony.
	"I must go out and get a life"
	twilko@ozemail.com.au