Prev: Re: Cross Over from FT3 (Fleet Book) to DirtSide and StarGrunt Next: Space carrier fighter philosphy

Re: Theater Air Defense Systems

From: "Phillip E. Pournelle" <pepourne@n...>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 11:42:48 -0700
Subject: Re: Theater Air Defense Systems

At 04:00 PM 10/21/98 -0500, Thomas Barclay wrote:
>Phillip spake thusly upon matters weighty:
>
>I don't think it could be just one installation. That wouldn't give
>you full planetary coverage. Minimum I'd say would be 3 big
>installations each covering 120 of arc.
>
>Attacking this in SG and DS2 should be fun!
>
>Note that the fact it doesn't attack size 1 suggests the use of
>either drop troops (size zero) or drop pods with 2 pa or 5 normal
>grunts each) (unless I've misremembered I think its one SG2 cap point
>for a trooper). Justifies doing conventional PA. (To neutralize THAAD
>and PD batteries before the real landings).

	Actually my thought was this was not represented in the Full
Thrust Level
but only as an abstraction in the DirtSide/StarGrunt (covering that
entire
planetary zone, i.e. large table) level with a representative facility.
If
you wanted complete coverage off your entire planet, then you would have
buy around a hundred of these things.
	Yes, the goal is to force PA/Drop troop actions against a
facility like
this, either that or you land in an adjacent planetary zone and walk
into
your enemy's holdings.	This means that a deteremined defender can
extend
the lenght of the campeign by having a few of these things.

Gort, Klaatu barada nikto!

Prev: Re: Cross Over from FT3 (Fleet Book) to DirtSide and StarGrunt Next: Space carrier fighter philosphy