Prev: Re: Space carrier fighter philosphyRe: ADLER TAG AAR Next: Re: Awards and ANthems(and now some background) [OT] [HIST]

Re: An idea for a new weapon (semi-OT]

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 10:51:50 -0500
Subject: Re: An idea for a new weapon (semi-OT]

Thomas spake thusly upon matters weighty:
> on the other hand, you might be able to slap the sun with something
> (rock, nuke, grav bomb) and induce a distortion in a controlled
manner.
> thus, the sun provides the power and you just have to trigger it.

What I had in mind.

> > Then your forces go in. Comms is down, but you have pre-set
> > orders.
>
> confucius, he say: "no plan survives contact with the enemy". with no
> comms, you couldn't react to anything which happened. also, if your
radio
> is down, your radar is down, and you can't shoot. otoh, optics would
still
> be up, so laser comms, lidar and telescopes would be fine. just like
the
> good old days.

Yes but if I'm confused 50%, the enemy is confused 100%. I'd consider
that advantage important. And as you said, LOS stuff (when not in the
planets screwed up Magnetic Field) would work well enough. And check
me if I'm wrong, but neutrino or meson communications should work
too. And grav sensors and stuff might still work.

> > You've disrupted the power grid and overloaded transformers
> > and the like all over.
>
> assuming you wait for the storm to subside, ok. otherwise, you get hit
> too, and you don't have an atmosphere and a magnetic field to protect
you.

Sure, but the initial pulse (I assume) is the worst. And your
military stuff is shielded enough I assume to survive this. But on
the defender side, they've got a civilian catastrophe to deal with.
And you might even wait a few days. They'll have to worry about you
coming, but they'll be real busy dealing with the aforementioned
civilian situaiton, and they'll still have lots of damage effects
when you arrive.

Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255