Prev: Re: Awards and ANthems(and now some background) [OT] [HIST] Next: Re: ADLER TAG AAR - Soundtrack (OT)

Re: Space carrier fighter philosphyRe: ADLER TAG AAR

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 10:50:32 +0300 (EEST)
Subject: Re: Space carrier fighter philosphyRe: ADLER TAG AAR

On Wed, 21 Oct 1998, Steven Arrowsmith wrote:

> Lets go back a few years and look at WW2, the US fleet was well out of
> aircraft range most of the time. To resupplie the main carriers, they
use
> "Jeep Carriers" or auxillary carriers.

CVEs or escort carriers were called jeep carriers, but they were quite
capable of combat operations on their own.

>These
> ships travled with the main support feet, well behind the main body.

Well, their mission *was* to protect the supply convoys.

> After
> a battle they would move up and unload the fighter. I recall seeing
pixs
> of them moving the planes by crane.

That you can do with a plain old freighter.

Obviously, you could (and they did) resupply from CVEs, but those ships
were not built expressly for the purpose.

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	   | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Re: Awards and ANthems(and now some background) [OT] [HIST] Next: Re: ADLER TAG AAR - Soundtrack (OT)