Prev: Re: FB Fighter Questions (longish) Next: Re: GW

Re: GW

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@n...>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 17:41:59 +0100
Subject: Re: GW

Thomas Riepe wrote:

> Hi everybody,
> I am new to the list and just started to play FT.
>
> I wonder if anybody has thought about using FT as Space combat
interface
> for Epic 40000 of GW. As I play this game too.
>
> If so any ideas for Ships designs for Imperium IG SM or Orcs????

Not for Orcs, no. The stats for Imperial and Eldar ships in GW's old
space combat game Space Fleet are available on Aaron Teske's web site at

http://www.hicom.net/~teske/sfleet.html

A simple conversion of the SF stats to FT is:

Soace Fleet "Speed" = Full Thrust "Thrust rating". All Imperial ships
have FTL drives; it can be argued that Eldar ships shouldn't.

Space Fleet range "3" = Full Thrust range "12" (ie, one range band).
1 Space Fleet firepower = 1 Full Thrust beam die in the nearest range
band.
Use these two guidelines to determine the beam armaments of the various
ships.

The special weapons used in Space Fleet translate roughly as...

Vortex Torpedo = FT Pulse Torpedo
Inferno Cannon = FT Nova Cannon (or Wavegun, if you feel cautious)
Fusion Cannon - tricky. I tend to use massed Pulse Torps, but they're
not
that accurate.
Plasma Torpedo (Eldar weapon) = a battery of 2-3 Needle Beams

Determine the weapons you want a ship to have; that gives you the Mass
(and damage capacity) of the ship.

I've seen designs like these on a web page somewhere, but I can't find
the URL now :-(

As for Orc ships - well... slow, lots of short-ranged weapons (massed C
batteries, probably) with a smattering of needles (to represent strange
Mekaniak weapons like Deth Rays or Shokk Attack Guns). Think Gargants in
space, like :-)

One more thing: GW ships are *HUGE*. If you use the ground/space
interface rules in More Thrust, multiply the number of soldiers you can
cram into one ship by a factor 2000 or so :-)

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@nacka.mail.telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: FB Fighter Questions (longish) Next: Re: GW