Prev: RE: Imperium/Full Thrust campaign Next: Re: [SG2] Major Sucess, Tactical defeat

Re: Imperium/Full Thrust campaign

From: Jeff Lyon <jefflyon@m...>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 22:01:41 -0500
Subject: Re: Imperium/Full Thrust campaign

At 06:40 PM 10/12/98 -0500, Thomas Barclay wrote:
>Snazzy. What did you use to produce these? They look good. WIth my
>luck, its a piece of Mac software...

*grin*

You're in luck.  I used Microsoft Paint and the version of Adam
Delafield's
Shipbits which Kelvin Henderson modified for use with the Fleet book.
The
bitmaps are in the ZIP file.

>I note that none of these ships has what I would call a spinal
>mount from Traveller.	(That is, a larger than size class 3
>battery or a big rail gun - depending on if it was a PA or a
>Meson gun).

True.  That may change after my compatriot has had a chance to critique
them.  Or not.	He's not particularly fond of single arc weapons, but he
might surprise me.

>And I guess you are assuming shield are Nuclear Dampers, Sandcaster
>turrets and bays, etc. all sort of abstractly represented?

Yup.  Best I could manage without a radical departure from FT.

>And no one, I imagine, has a black globe?

Not in this era.  This is probably only Tech level 11 or so.  These wars
occurred just prior to the development of Jump-3 drives (about 2000
years
before the formation of the Third Imperium).

>Still, all in all, looks like a lot of good work. I see you've made
>the Vilani more missile heavy and the Terrans more beam heavy. I
>might have went the other way. I always figured beams were the more
>'classic' armament (massive laser bays, PA barbettes, etc) for a
>high-tech society.

Although that's probably how I would have done it as well, that's not
how
Imperium did it.  I guess because the first round of combat is always at
missile ranges, they decided to favor the Vilani with a preponderance of
missiles.

I've tried to make these designs as representative of the original
combat
factors in the game as I could.

There are some examples of the counters at:

<http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~jwlyon/FT/imperium/Imperium.JPG>
<http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~jwlyon/FT/imperium/Terrans.JPG>

The three combat factors along the bottom of the counter are beams,
missiles and screens.  The smaller number in the corner is the
maintenance
cost.

The conversion system I used is at:

<http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~jwlyon/FT/imperium/V2ships.txt>

Once I finalized on this, 90% of ship design process was done already.

Jeff

Prev: RE: Imperium/Full Thrust campaign Next: Re: [SG2] Major Sucess, Tactical defeat