Prev: Re: (SG2] Orbital Insertion (an alternative approach to calculat Next: Re: FMA List: Proposal to change list code.

Re: (SG2] Orbital Insertion (an alternative approach to calculat

From: "John M. Atkinson" <john.m.atkinson@e...>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 23:46:32 -0700
Subject: Re: (SG2] Orbital Insertion (an alternative approach to calculat

Los wrote:

> Local Air superiority is a requirement for any conventional airborne
or air
> assault operation. Since not every war either in the past, now, or in
the
> future is going to be one where local air superioruity "cannot" be
> established. (Does that make sense?) There will always be a role for
rapidly
> deployable bn sized or larger verticle envelopment.

Of course--but it looks like the best options will be relatively small
tactical stuff like the Soviets did in WWII rather than Arnhem-style
nonsense.  And in counter-insurgency airborne deployment might make a
useful way of getting your response forces from A to B.

> <Q: What hangs under a chicken'  ass? A: A nasty leg>

Q:  How many people who were on jump status for more than 5 years have I
met with knees which still work 100%?

A:  None

John M. Atkinson

(Completely offtopic--I met and shook hands with General Kalashnikov,
[as in invented the AK-47] today!  First trip to US for him.)