Prev: Aryan-Transpacific Next: FT Mission Cards (not only on-topic...but an FT post, too! ;-)

Re: (SG2] Orbital Insertion (an alternative approach to calculat

From: Los <los@c...>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 10:50:03 -0400
Subject: Re: (SG2] Orbital Insertion (an alternative approach to calculat

John M. Atkinson wrote:

> Los wrote:
> Ship has a LOT of capsules it spits out.  Some are troopers, some are

<snips interesting background>

> a backup physical parachute.

SOunds like more or less standard stuff.good.

> > I still think parachute assault is a viable alternative. Except that
in

> For non-PA troopers.	Of course, mass drops aren't possible in a
modern
> ADA environment (ducks flying bricks from various Airborne).	It's a
> little bit silly to think that a formation of 200 C-130s is going to
> survive in modern air combat, especially if you don't assume that the
> good guys will always have 100% air supremacy.  So you'd see them for

Local Air superiority is a requirement for any conventional airborne or
air
assault operation. Since not every war either in the past, now, or in
the
future is going to be one where local air superioruity "cannot" be
established. (Does that make sense?) There will always be a role for
rapidly
deployable bn sized or larger verticle envelopment.

Los
<Q: What hangs under a chicken'  ass? A: A nasty leg>

Prev: Aryan-Transpacific Next: FT Mission Cards (not only on-topic...but an FT post, too! ;-)