Prev: Re: [OT] Another Rhomaphillia thread!, was FMC when? Next: Re: FMA List: Proposal to change list code.

Re: (SG2] Orbital Insertion (an alternative approach to calculat

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 13:51:51 -0500
Subject: Re: (SG2] Orbital Insertion (an alternative approach to calculat

Oerjan spake thusly upon matters weighty:
> Should there be that much of a difference between Veteran and Elite
> units?

Is the difference between D10 and D12 much?

 Also, those of you who are or have been para troopers - how much
> would a troop disperse using today's parachutes?

Is that relevant? Using a square rigged chute/airfoil, how much
closer to your target can you get today than in say 1945? Let's track
that 200 years forwards.

> If the troop drops from orbit (ie, outside the atmosphere), I'd be
pretty
> impressed if they managed to stay within 200 meters from one another
:-/

Using Drop caps? Why? Seems to me with either an airfoil with grav
assist (grav chute) or with a drop cap with fins, rocket motors, etc.
that you could probably arrive far more accurately than anything
today. It seems to me we can put a man on the moon where we want him,
and we can land the space shuttle remotely (the Russians could). I
don't see why you can't put down 8 guys within 100m area. (Given
normal conditions).

> That's easy to explain: "The heavier they are, the harder they fall"
<g>

Heh.

> An armour suit which prevents you from being blown to bits or having
> nasty holes punched through you isn't necessarily going to save you
from
> concussion damage (or having your balls flattened) when you hit the
> ground too fast.

I'm not sure I'd agree. The Police have found that bulletproof vests
make a big difference in car crashes because the blunt trauma is
dispersed. This still applies in powered armour. Something designed
to help you survive both point hits an explosive concussions (and
something which can stand the stresses of an assault drop in the
first place) probably can help you out with an impact on the ground.

But, as always, YMMV.

> Regards,
>
> Oerjan Ohlson
> oerjan.ohlson@nacka.mail.telia.com
>
> "Life is like a sewer.
>   What you get out of it, depends on what you put into it."
> - Hen3ry

Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: Re: [OT] Another Rhomaphillia thread!, was FMC when? Next: Re: FMA List: Proposal to change list code.