Prev: Re: FMA List: Proposal to change list code. Next: Re: Call for Alternates

Re: Some GMS Thoughts [SG2]

From: "Andrew & Alex" <Al.Bri@x...>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 15:05:14 +1300
Subject: Re: Some GMS Thoughts [SG2]

Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@sofkin.ca> wrote:
>Overhead-Attack (OA) GMS
>This type of guided missile (either a Multi-role or Standard) GMS
>takes advantage of the fact that armour designers tend to armour the
>front and sides of most armoured vehicles more heavily than the top
>or rear (and in the case of most vehicles that don't fly, the
>bottom). This is usually sound design strategy as this helps to
>counter direct fire ordinance. But, it doesn't do much good against
>an OA GMS attack. The effect of an OA GMS is to strike the (usually)
>weaker top armour of a vehicle instead of the front or sides. If you
>track the armour values of different sides separately, just use the
>value for top armour. If not, use half (round down) of the armour
>value for the front armour. OA GMS is available in GMS/H, GMS/L, and
>GMS/P but should be (in a costed scenario) very expensive.
    Remember that GMS and other weapons fired from a aerospace craft hit
on
the vehicle top side as well. I'm not sure of this, but I'm under the
impression that top armour of ground vehicles is the same as the side
armour
or one less than frontal armour. The underneath of ground vehicles is
definitely TWO levels lower than frontal armour.
    In my games, I assume that rear armour is like underneath armour -
two
levels less than frontal armour, minimum of zero.

>Laser Homing GMS are available in GMS/L, GMS/H, and GMS/P. LH GMS
>missiles may be fired from a standard GMS launcher as the beam riding
>is a
missile function. They are expensive however.
    Well, I think they should be cheaper in points cost and real world
credits, dollars, pounds, ECUs or whatever. Laser homing missiles are
LESS
smart than fire & forget missiles.

>Laser Obscuring Aerosol Dispensers (LOADs)
    Firing the smoke dischargers should be as effective. I am assuming
that
the smoke dischargers fire effective smoke that blocks all sensors.

>Anti-Missile Kinetic Defence System (AMKDS)
>An AMKDS is a high precision, short range, high accuracy radar suite
>coupled to a direct fire, high rate weapon. The vehicle designer can
>hook the system to a designated missile defence only weapon, or to
>another more general purppose weapon. The advantage of designating a
>weapon system for this is that its use WON'T stop you firing during a
>round and that your normal engagement WON'T stop your missile defence
>from working. The weapon must be a modified HEL (capable of short,
>rapid pulses) or an RFAC. (I don't think any other types are
>appropriate).
    Size 1 and 2 MDC would be OK as well. A case could be made for DFFG
1 &
2 as well.

Andrew Martin
Shared email: Al.Bri@xtra.co.nz
Web Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/
Blind See-Saw Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/SEE-SAW/
Dirtside II Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/
Dirtside II FAQ: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/FAQ/
GZG E-Mail FAQ:
http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/FAQ/Ettiquette.html
FUDGE GM Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/FUDGE/

Prev: Re: FMA List: Proposal to change list code. Next: Re: Call for Alternates