Prev: Re: Call for Alternates Next: Re: [FT extra rules]

Re: [SG II] Tyranid conversion

From: John Crimmins <johncrim@v...>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 23:06:59 -0400
Subject: Re: [SG II] Tyranid conversion

>I'm doing small homepage with adaptations for tyranids to use them in
SGII.

I'm using my Tyranid figs for something completely different....

I haven't come up with a new name for them yet, but: They are one of the
leading races of the Hegemony, a loose alliance of aliens united by
their
common belief that the use of inorganic technology is not merely
inefficient, but blasphemous and disgusting.

The Genestealers are immature (but fertile) males; strong, but stupid.
Generally used as laborers, but rather effective combatants when the
need
arises.  They are not intelligent enough to use a gun, but they are
devastating in close combat.

The Termagants (the ORIGINAL Tyranids, thank you very much...I still
have a
dozen or so of the old lead ones) are immature (and infertile) females.
little smarter, and physically weaker, than the males.	About as
intelligent as a really bright chimp.  Capable of using firearms, if not
very well.  If allowed enough time, some (about one out of every 150)
females reach full maturity.

Tyranid Warriors are mature females.  The stinger is used to implant
eggs
into the bodies of the males--the males fertilize the eggs, and the
young
eat their way out when the time comes.	Mothers (as Terran
xenobiologists
call them) are VERY intelligent.  More so, it is suspected, than humans.
Immature Tyranids imprint upon the first Mother that they see, and
instinctively mimic their "parent".  As far as the game goes, this means
that if a Mother fires at something, her "children" will automatically
follow suit.  Mothers can override this instinct with simple commands
(little more than "sit", or "stay", really), if the need arises.  Broods
are strictly segregated by sex; otherwise, the "children" tend to
quarrel.

Males, if allowed to do so, eventually develop into "Emperors"--the GW
Carnifex figures--still stupid, but REALLY big.  The original purpose of
the Emperor was to protect his "family", but there is no longer any need
for this.  Emperors are occasionally used by warrior clans, but it is
rare
that any males reach this stage of development.

Socially, Tyranids are grouped into clans, with each clan having a
rigidly
defined role.  Farmers farm, builders build, crafters...craft, and
warriors
fight.

In game terms, only Mothers have to worry about morale (and they don't
scare easily).	Their broods will do whatever they see their parent
doing,
without hesitation.  If their Mother is killed, the brood will move as
quickly as possible towards the nearest surviving Mother.  If anyone
gets
directly in their way, the brood will attack; otherwise they will ignore
all impediments.  Mothers are definitely Terror weapons, and may be
treated
as small vehicles if I decide that's the way to go.  Beyond that, we'll
see.

John X Crimmins
johncrim@voicenet.com
  --Spider Robinson, The Callahan Touch.

Prev: Re: Call for Alternates Next: Re: [FT extra rules]