Prev: Re: {SG2] Multiple Weapons Mounts Next: Some GMS Thoughts [SG2]

[FT extra rules]

From: "Richard Slattery" <richard@m...>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 02:35:40 +0100
Subject: [FT extra rules]

I've been mulling over an addition to the rules for the following, and
offer them up for peer review ;)

Possible Ship size effects on combat

In theory, ship size ought to make larger ships easier to hit in some
circumstances.
It doesn’t seem particularly relevant to MT Missile or SML Missiles,
which only have to get within perhaps kilometers of the target, or
terminally guide themselves to it.
Beam weapons and pulse torpedoes do not steer during ‘flight’, and
have to hit the target to affect it… so a target presenting more
surface
area ought to have a better chance of hitting.
Needle beams have to be able to hit individual systems, and a class
‘whatever’ battery is the same size irrespective of the ship it is on.
Drives
and Shields and FTL and any other systems that are a percentage of the
total ship size are both more difficult to damage significantly due to
their
size, but easier to hit for the same reason, so lets say those factors
cancel
each other out.
Wave and nova guns are both area effect weapons, so they hit anything
in their path, although a larger ship will be in the way of more of the
energy of the attack, so probably also ought to take more damage. But
we don’t use them anyway ;)
EMP missiles already affect larger ships in proportion to their size.
Submunitions packs perhaps ought to find it easier to hit larger ships,
think of them as basically unguided.

My proposal for beam weapons and submunitions packs:
There would be a modifier to the amount of damage getting to the target
at each range band beyond the first one in the form of changing the
number of dice rolled based on the tonnage of the target ship. So it
doesn’t change the way factor 1 batteries fire at all. Against a 170
mass
ship, a class two beam would have 2 at 12”, 2 at 24”, and still zero
at more
than 24”. A class three against a 10 mass scout would have 3 at 12”, 1
at
24” and none at over 24”. Pesky varmits.

1-15	-1
16-150	0
151+	+1

For pulse Torpedoes, a modifier to the dice roll to hit for each range
bracket beyond the first one, but never giving a better chance to hit
than
at the first range bracket.

1-15	-1
16-50	0
51-150	+1
151-450 +2

Perhaps allow ships that are ‘face on’ or ‘end on’ to their attacker

(attacker in their forward or rear arc) to have any bonus to hit them
reduced by one.

Richard Slattery	     richard@mgkc.demon.co.uk
I have nothing to say, and I'll only say it once.
     Floyd Smith, NHL Hockey coach

Prev: Re: {SG2] Multiple Weapons Mounts Next: Some GMS Thoughts [SG2]