Prev: Re: erm... power armour Next: RE: erm... power armour

Brentor on space war Re: Submarines in space

From: devans@u...
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 12:19:20 -0500
Subject: Brentor on space war Re: Submarines in space

This brought to mind an earlier thread of people looking for references
war in sci-fi(sic) literature. I'd never read any fiction by Mr.
Brentnor,
when I noticed a three PB anthology he edited. I forget the series
title,
and, perhaps,  those of the volumes, but I think they were The Sword of
Mars, The Spear of Orion, and The Shield of Odin.

Number of short stories and essays that were all thought provoking.
Liberally peppered with the non-PC thoughts of Pournelle and Laumer,
including allusions to 'mommy coyote's' competition with 'momma rabbit'.
;->=

I don't think the series was mentioned, but it certainly is worthy of
inclusion of combat-oriented spec fict collection.

The_Beast

Nyrath the nearly wise <nyrath@clark.net> on 09/30/98 05:07:25 PM

Please respond to FTGZG-L@bolton.ac.uk

 To:	  FTGZG-L@bolton.ac.uk

 cc:	  (bcc: Doug Evans/CSN/UNEBR)

 Subject: Re: Submarines in space

Jonathan Jarrard wrote:

> In a book called SALVAGE AND DESTROY (can't remember the author), a
> scout for an extremely stable, ancient galactic civilization decides
> that Earth must be destroyed because of our aggressive nature and
(more
> importantly) the fact that the U.S. and Soviet sub forces would
provide
> us with a ready-made war fleet as soon as we discovered FTL and
> anti-grav (apparently these were closely related, easy to build, and
the
> sort of unpredictable theoretical discovery that could come at any
> time.)

     There is another book called Gilpin's Space by Reginald Brentnor,
     where one simple discovery yields a device that will
     turn any submarine into a starship, especially a
     small one like Alvin.

Prev: Re: erm... power armour Next: RE: erm... power armour