Prev: Re: Planetary defenses Next: Re: [OT] Re: Human aggression in space

Re: The Kra'Vak,and alien cultures in general

From: Chen-Song Qin <cqin@e...>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 19:09:06 -0600 (MDT)
Subject: Re: The Kra'Vak,and alien cultures in general

That reminds me of another thing.  I'm not sure about the conjecture of
highly stratified alien societies. (i.e. caste system, guild system,
etc.)
Stratified societies tend to be highly resistant to change and inhibit
growth.  In economic terms, for example, having warrior, worker and
religious (hmm... sounds familiar?) castes, where members born into each
caste can only work within that caste, would severely limit the labour
pool available for various professions.  Hard for capitalism,
enterpreneurship, etc. to develope...  This may in turn severely
limitthe
rate at which new technology can be introduced into industry and
society.
Anyone care to comment on this?  Just some ramblings.

-----

Even the engineers are not *this* depraved.  This must be the work of
the
Med. students.

						- A friend of mine

-----

On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Los wrote:

<snip interesting info on the Kra'vak>

Prev: Re: Planetary defenses Next: Re: [OT] Re: Human aggression in space