Prev: Re: GZG FH: Blue water navy. Next: RE: [OT?] Indigenous insurgencies

Re: [DS2] [SG2] Laser Ranging

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 16:16:24 -0500
Subject: Re: [DS2] [SG2] Laser Ranging

Tom spake thusly upon matters weighty:

But be damn careful not to hit anyone in the face (esp the eyes) with
one. The retina is very sensitive to this kind of damage. I know the
output power of these is in the low milliwatts, but the laser diode
emits (roughly) one frequency of coherent light and that is VERY
damaging (afaik) to the receptors in the eye. Near misses I've seen
have caused people problems seeing for quite a while. So, if you want
to range from ship to ship for firing arcs, make sure your downrange
path is clear. Please also remember than light diffracts and splits
in glass, crystal, and other transparent or translucent media - I've
seen people shoot crystal chandeliers. Nice visual effect but damn
dangerous as we now have ten or more beams of coherent light all
focused in unpredictable directions. It's be a stupid way to suffer
optic damage.

Tom.
<deactivates "mothering mode">

> Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@swob.dna.fi> wrote:
>
> > Those pointers are, btw, very nice for determining LOS in a game. I
used
> > to use a small periscope, but I recently got a cheap keychain laser
> > pointer and it's great! Just hold it next to the firing figure and
try to
> > "lase" the target.
>
>     I just bought one recently for just that purpose.  Also, they help
> determine firing arc in Full Thrust.	From the target just "lase" the
> firing ship's base and see which arc it is in.
>
> Enjoy,
> Tom Granvold				<thomas.granvold@eng.sun.com>

Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: Re: GZG FH: Blue water navy. Next: RE: [OT?] Indigenous insurgencies