Prev: Re:Planetary insurgencies..was Planetary defenses Next: Re: GZG FH: Blue water navy.

subs in spaaace

From: tom.anderson@a...
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 14:53:07 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: subs in spaaace

noah wrote:

>kwalsh writes:

>>the idea of using a Trident sub as an SDB is almost appealing, you
>>could mount space combat nukes instead of ICBM's.
>>yeah I know thats a major stretch, but its the same basic concept

>Not that much of a stretch.  Given an efficient, >powerful spacedrive
>(whatever that might be...) a sub is pretty much a >ready-made
spacecraft.
> Sealed environment,

sealed against positive pressure - the ocean is trying to crush you.
spacecraft are sealed against negative pressure - space is trying to
tear you apart.

> lots of space to work with.

depends on scale. more than a GZG destroyer, not more than a star
wars/honor harrison/star trek one.

>  If >you rip out the
>missiles of an Ohio-class SSBN, or, Lenin forbid, a >Typhoon-class,
you'd
>have a lot of space to play with.  A Typhoon, puttering >around with a
>bellyful of SMs or MT missiles would be scary.

pretty bloody scary.

anyway, isn't this basically the plot of macross? an earth submarine
carrier gets flipped halfway across the solar system by a malfunctioning
alien warp drive?

Tom

Prev: Re:Planetary insurgencies..was Planetary defenses Next: Re: GZG FH: Blue water navy.