Prev: Re: [DS2] Damage Table Next: re: planetary invasion

Re: [LIST] Splitting the Mailing List Suggestion

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 13:01:31 +0300 (EEST)

On Tue, 29 Sep 1998, Thomas Barclay wrote:

> I play FT occaisionally. A lot of the discussions that eat the most
> thread space are not FT, nor DS2, nor SG2 but 'how the world works'
> and have implications to all of the games in one way or another. But
> I can appreciate the comment.  There is a fair volume of list traffic
> - the perils of popularity.

The general fact about usenet news and internet mailing lists is that if
you only want to read topical postings of interest to you, you need to
subscribe to a moderated group with very narrow focus(*. No such thing
exists for GZG games (not that "GZG games" isn't already a very narrow
focus).

No, I'm not volunteering.

And that's "you" in the passive sense again ;-)

*) Some newspaper guys have even gone as far as to predict the death of
freeform news and mailing lists and the rise of edited webzines. Quite
natural, given their background of one-way communication, but while
webzines have their place, I can't see Usenet dying anytime soon -- even
under the horrible onslought of spamming...

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	   | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Re: [DS2] Damage Table Next: re: planetary invasion