Prev: Re: Imperium/Full Thrust Campaign game (long) Next: [FB] Rules for Fleet Book Kra'Vak

Re: [DS2] [SG2] Laser Ranging

From: trapper <trapper@n...>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 22:10:34 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [DS2] [SG2] Laser Ranging

At 10:21 PM 9/29/98 -0500, Noah Doyle wrote:

re: lasers

>Can't you put the hurt on somebody's eyes with one of those things?
How
>many 'shots' does one have (battery life)?  How heavy is it?  Does it
>require special care in the field?  Just curious.
>
>Noah

All lasers can do retinal damages,even the little pointers kids (and
even
college students,sheesh) seem to be fond of. Running around blinding
people
is probably considered a serious misuse of military resources,though. :)
   You get to see a good example of a laser target designator being used
in
the movie adaptation of Tom Clancy's book 'Clear & Present Danger'.
Fairly
realistic AFAIK.
   As for special care,you'd probably have to take special care of the
lenses. I'd think it'd be a bit on the fragile side,but like all
military
hardware it'd be reinforced in certain areas.
   This is mostly conjecture,though,I've never worked with one of these
and
my knowledge of lasers is fairly minimal.

-trapper

Prev: Re: Imperium/Full Thrust Campaign game (long) Next: [FB] Rules for Fleet Book Kra'Vak