Prev: The battle of the ants [OT] Next: Re: still FMA-40k

Re: [SG2] You'll never take me alive, coppers:Was RE: PA availab

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 18:37:50 -0500
Subject: Re: [SG2] You'll never take me alive, coppers:Was RE: PA availab

Los spake thusly upon matters weighty:

> John brings up a good point. Most jamming works on putting out a
bigger
> signal than the one that you are trying to JAM and stepping all over
it.
> Very DF-able.
>
> Los

Not to argue, but my limited experience (conversations with a man
involved in rather secretive contract work for the government whose
background is Canadian Signals for the Para Regt and whose work now
involves assessment of major communications systems security for
major players in Canada), I'm told that GOOD jamming doe snot involve
dropping a lot of power on a broad part of the spectrum, because this
is a waste of ERP. Obviously, you want to mess up the signal you are
trying to jam, but just tromping it is not always the only route. And
to tromp it, you may only need signal parity (especially if it is
data!), not more power. So if my 2W walkie talkie system is my Cop
Std issue, then a jammer that puts out 10W used properly will be way
sufficient, and not that brutally hard to conceal. Now, try to jam a
25W radio, and you may need a much bigger jammer. The thing is, for
reasons of radiating harmonics, induced signals and currents, etc. we
limit the bandwidth and power of most communications devices in our
spectrum and that includes those used by the police. The military can
often ignore that (DND here violates CRTC rulings and airspace with
abandon), but the police probably cannot do so (a little matter of
law). So I think jamming cops with some not too outrageous equipment
is feasible, especially for the well rigged and funded crim (who
possibly has military gear).

> John Atkinson wrote:
>
> > You wrote:
> >
> > >Of course, the well equipped crim of the future has EW caps and
uses
> > >his EW chits to jam the cops commo.
> >
> > Jamming can be tracked.  Highly unlikely your average city will have
> > anything like the EW environment of a battlefield, and a radio
jammer
> > would stick out like a sore thumb.
> >
> > John

Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: The battle of the ants [OT] Next: Re: still FMA-40k