Prev: Re: What Figures are people using for SGII how are you painting Next: Re: (OT) Rules "inspiration" (was [OT] Bring and Battle

Re: Planetary defenses

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 19:20:44 +0300 (EEST)
Subject: Re: Planetary defenses

On Mon, 28 Sep 1998, Los wrote:

> But think of even the GZG universe.

Frankly, I could not care less for the Official(tm) GZG universe.

There are valid reasons to obliterate a planet.
There are valid reasons not to.
That's all.

> You look at Weber's stuff, ie Honr Harrington, these aren't really
wars
> of annihlation either, the resources on the planet People. mineral,
> wahever are too valuable to waste.

Orbital bombarding a "dead" planet is not going to make it any more dead
(and you don't have to use nukes), nor destroy raw material resources
like
mineral deposits. As for capturing enemy bases intact... well I don't
think it's a very reasonable chance.

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	   | A pig who doesn't
fly