Prev: RE: Submarines in space Next: [SGII] Flex Scale

Re: Splitting the Mailing List Suggestion

From: Travelling down my own road <KOCHTE@s...>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 08:24:57 -0500 (EST)

Nils writes:

>  I don't want to start a major war here, but I'd like to suggest that
DSII
>& Stargrunt get split off into their own mailing list.  I suggest this
for
>the following reasons:

I believe this has been suggested before in the distant past. Although
back
then DSII/SGII discussion wasn't nearly as prevalent as it is now.

>1) I don't play Full Thrust, so I'm overwhelmed by the constant barrage
of
>FT mails that come through the list.  It seems that about every 5
minutes
>I'm having to delete another FT mail.	It's gotten to the point that
I'm
>considering dropping off the list since there is so little DSII
discussion.

Funny, I have the opposite perception on this - unless, of course, those
numerous SGII/DSII msgs that have been coming through have devolved into
FT discussions and no one's changed the subject line! I only play
DSII/SGII
on occassion, so haven't been reading the related mails much.

>2) A DSII/Stargrunt mailing list might encourage more discussion.
Every
>morning, I come into work & have about 50 messages that I have to scan
the
>subjects of & delete.	I frequently miss the DSII messages because they
are
>lost in the mass of FT messages.  Only when I'm looking in my deleted
>messages folder something else, do I catch what I've missed.  By having
>DSII/Stargrunt mailing list, these messages won't be lost amongst the
FT
>messages.

Again, I seem to have the opposite perception on this. Although overall
really think the traffic is about half and half (or, probably more
exactly,
1/3 FT, 1/3 DSII/SGII, and 1/3 OT ;)

I don't know what mailer you use, but if it has the capabilities of
selecting
out mail by subject line (or partial subject line), you could easily use
that
in parsing out what you do and do not want to read (my mailer allows me
to do
a 'dir/subj=[some portion of the subject line]' and it makes life easier
in
deciding what to read and not read.

>3) A DSII/Stargrunt list could possible decrease internet traffic.  I'm
>assuming there are other list members out there like me that don't play
FT.
>If another list was created, they could be dropped off the FT list &
the
>large number of FT messages wouldn't have to be sent to them.	(OK, I
know
>I'm really reaching for this one.)

I know there are other list members out there who don't play FT; that
much, at least, isn't a stretch.  :-)

>So, what do people think about starting a seperate DSII/Stargrunt list?

I dunno. I do read the odd DSII/SGII msg/thread, and I think maintaining
2 seperate lists would be more trouble than not; a lot of people here I
think delve in both sides of life and you might get a lot of
cross-postings
between the two as some find new connections between FT and DSII/SGII
(well,
okay, maybe not a lot, but some). Also, this way if you need to remove
your-
self from a mailing list, you only have to do it once. If there were two
and you wanted to be on both, you'd have to remove yourself twice and
sign
back up twice if the situation warrented. And if there were problems
with
the list server (let's assume for sake of arguement they are both hosted
at
the same site), then there will be generated twice the amount of "hey,
is the
list down?" traffic - which if it is Jon will get it back up again as
soon as
he is back from where ever he has gone (eg, weekends), and if you
haven't
gotten anything by, say, midweek, you should have resources available to
track
down SOMEbody's email addr on here (if you don't already know some) and
ask
them if they've been getting anything lately. But I digress.  :-}

Mk
-
All that is gold does not glitter,
     all those who wander are not lost.

http://www.bcpl.net/~indy/index.html

Prev: RE: Submarines in space Next: [SGII] Flex Scale