Prev: RE: Planetary defenses Next: Re: Blue water navy.

RE: Planetary defenses

From: Noah Doyle <nvdoyle@m...>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 22:07:26 -0500
Subject: RE: Planetary defenses

kwalsh writes:

>the idea of using a Trident sub as an SDB is almost appealing, you
>could mount space combat nukes instead of ICBM's.
>yeah I know thats a major stretch, but its the same basic concept

Not that much of a stretch.  Given an efficient, powerful spacedrive
(whatever that might be...) a sub is pretty much a ready-made
spacecraft.
 Sealed environment, lots of space to work with.  If you rip out the
missiles of an Ohio-class SSBN, or, Lenin forbid, a Typhoon-class, you'd

have a lot of space to play with.  A Typhoon, puttering around with a
bellyful of SMs or MT missiles would be scary.	In the Traveller milieu,

space missiles were even smaller than modern SLBMs - about 7 cubic
meters,
as I remember from TNE.

Actually, even a low-efficiency spacedrive would work well on a sub -
ion
drives, maybe.

Noah

Prev: RE: Planetary defenses Next: Re: Blue water navy.