Prev: Re: Planetary defenses Next: RE: Planetary defenses

Re: Planetary defenses

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 18:52:20 -0500
Subject: Re: Planetary defenses

Los spake thusly upon matters weighty:
> There's a lot of good ideas. Now another question. Where does all this
leave an
> occupying force that now has to turn around and hold a planet or
colony without
> years of prep time? (Most of teh occupying fleet has to move on to
other stuff.
> I'm talking mobile PD equipment here. While we know that we have
mobile ADA/SAM
> units. What about ODA (orbital defense artillery) and SOM (Surface to
Orbit
> missles)?

As an attacker, when I leave, I'd better have left enough forces to
control the space around my target in most expected threat conditions
- that means small, fast deployment break-down fighter bases and
fighters (and close aerospace support gunships and transports), small
orbital artillery platforms, surveillance sats, some defsats (to
deter fleets from trying things or blockade running), some small
fleet elements. And lots of PBI.

Tom.
Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: Re: Planetary defenses Next: RE: Planetary defenses